Modern Dutch grammar : a practical guide
Author: Jenneke A. Oosterhoff
Modern Dutch Grammar: A Practical Guide is an innovative reference guide to Dutch, combining traditional and function-based grammar in a single volume. With a strong emphasis on contemporary usage, all grammar points and functions are richly illustrated with examples.
The Grammar is divided into two parts. Part I covers traditional grammatical categories such as nouns and verbs. Part II is carefully organized around language functions and contexts such as:
– Giving and seeking information
– Describing processes and results
– Expressing attitudes, mental states and emotions
– Registers and style
– Formal and informal communication, e.g. youth talk
Main features of the Grammar include:
– Clear, succinct and jargon-free explanations
– Extensive cross-referencing between the different sections
– Emphasis on areas of particular difficulty for learners of Dutch
This is the ideal reference grammar for learners of Dutch at all levels, from elementary to advanced; no prior knowledge of grammatical terminology is assumed and it provides indices of grammatical terms and functions. This Grammar is complemented by a companion website featuring related exercises and activities to reinforce learning.